When I was ten, my favourite book was... Guest Blog by CG Hatton



Smuggler’s Top by Enid Blyton

When I was ten, I loved the Famous Five. I loved exploring, climbing across the rocks at the beach, making maps in the woods… I loved the idea of secret passages in old buildings, hidden messages written in invisible ink, spies lurking at every corner, and mystery and intrigue and adventure. (I wanted my own pen knife but my dad wouldn’t get me one of those until I was 18 and setting off to study geology at uni!).

The reason I love Five Go To Smuggler’s Top in particular is that the boy the Famous Five meet in this book is funny, mischievous, smart, fearless, defiant… everything you need in a best friend in the middle of an adventure.

There is a hint of danger, lots of secret passages, loads of creeping around with torches in the dark, mystery upon mystery, and throughout it all, a sense of camaraderie and adventure that I longed for as a child. If you don’t have that in reality, where better to find it than in a book you can pick up and read over and over again… and then maybe, hopefully, find for yourself as you grow up and venture out into the world.

Comments